Friday, February 13, 2009

Early Valentine's Day Present

Do you ever wonder what a 2 year old is thinking? Well, I've always been a little curious what Garrett is thinking when we tell him about his baby sister. Now that my belly is noticeably bigger, if we ask him where baby sister is, he'll point to my belly. And that's the extent of his interest. Tonight was a little different and heartbreakingly sweet.

It started off this morning with nothing but whining and constant "NO!"'s shouted at me about everything. I was getting very frustrated with him and was really ready to drop him off at daycare for others to deal with. Not a very satisfying feeling to have at 7:00 am when he's only been up for a half hour. After discussing the weird behaviors this morning from our children with a co-worker, we agreed it had something to do with the weather, a full moon, or the tides... something! After a very full day at work, I stopped and got Chinese food takeout and brought it home for dinner. Garrett was being a good little boy and he even ate his dinner.

Then after Doug and I exchanged Valentine's Day presents (candy! woo-hoo!) Garrett started babbling about something I couldn't understand. But I did catch the word "baby". So I did the usual "Where is baby sister?" and of course he pointed at my belly. I asked him if he wanted to say hi to baby sister, and he did. But what really shocked me to the point of tears was what he did next.

He leaned over and kissed my belly, then gave baby sister a hug.


Keep in mind that throughout my whole pregnancy, Garrett has not shown any interest nor true knowledge that there's another person inside me that is going to be a part of our family. But to see him respond with such love and tenderness for someone that from the beginning has been a heard but not seen "character", it was that little dose of love that I desperately needed from him.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has a way of doing that. Like I always say, perfect timing that keeps us from beating our children! They do something to remind us of why we like having them! Super cute!